Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens offers Internships for people looking for placements longer than 4 weeks.
If you wish to apply for an internship you must be aged 18 years or over therefore, they are best suited for those people taking a gap year between 'A'-Levels / National Diploma and further studies, sandwich placements or those who have already graduated from University . College, preferably having studied a relevant subject.
Please note the following:
- All placements are voluntary and unpaid
- We do not have any accommodation on site so candidates would need to make their own accommodation and travel arrangements
- All of our internships offers a voluntary practical work placement with one of our keepers for a minimum period of four weeks, working full-time from 8.30am to 4.30pm daily, including weekends, with a regular day off each week.
- Internships have rolling start dates throughout the year, please contact Steven Sykes for further details.
What will you be getting up to while on your Internship:
In all cases interns will have the first four weeks shadowing our keepers ensuring the get to know the basics of the zoo and getting to know our animals and how we do things. There is an option to complete a ‘zooploma’ booklet that covers all the basic keeper husbandry tasks that you have done over those weeks to show what areas you have worked in.
After the initial 4-week period we then have a review where we start to look at what you would like to concentrate on for the rest of the internship period.
Areas that you can focus on include:
- ZIMS –online animal recording
- Nutrition and diet formulation
- Enclosure design
- Animal training
- Event management
- Customer services and Research
Other areas will be considered on an individual basis.
You need to provide your own uniform which consists of dark blue overalls and steel toe capped boots. You will need to ensure that you have all piercings removed, hair tied back and fingernails should be short and round whilst you are on your internship. If the internship is for a long period then you can purchase logo’d uniform.
How To Apply
If you would like to apply then please read the booklet below which explains the application process. Please print and complete the application form and confidential medical questionnaire also found below and return to email@example.com
Please Note: DBS checks can take up to 8 weeks to process.